Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 20:21:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        h.wickhorst@elmshorn.netsurf.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named and root.cache

> Hi,
>
> My configuration is to run an own nameserver and ppp -auto on
> an 2.2.1 box.
>
> While booting 'ppp -auto provider' is started. But named causes
> a dial out sending packets to port 53 to all hosts listed in
> 'root.cache'. I understand that this is a nameserver request,
> but i don't want the system to dial out at boot time only to
> resolv this host addresses. On the other hand i cannot use
> a packet filter to deny dialing on requests to port 53, because
> if my nameserver cannot resolve an external address, it should
> ask my provider's nameserver.
>
> I used the sample config files for named, and added records
> for my own network.
>
> How can i stop this nameserver requests ?

Your best bet is to monitor the line (set log +tcp/ip) and try
to figure out the difference between packets that you do and
don't want to trigger dialing.  If there's no difference, I'm
afraid you're sunk - can't have your cake & eat it.

Personally, I don't give named a named.root.  I just use

forwarders x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
options forward-only

Where x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y are my ISPs cache nameservers.

Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;