Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:18:46 -0000
From:      "AJ Moore" <ajm4@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Wierd user ppp via su

Hi, I hope you can help.

I have ppp working fine...not a problem....(much easier than Linux)

However I want to be able to bring the line up and down from a local
webpage.  To do this I created a "pppweb" user and placed it in the network
group, I then put the relevant "allow" statments in the ppp.conf file.  To
ensure it was working I enabled the user so I could log in, and sure enough
all was fine.

My next step was to start Apache using the "pppweb" user, I had some simple
cgi scripts which just ran ppp.up and ppp.down shell scripts.  The ppp.down
is a simple signal script to ppp to drop the line, so if the "pppweb" user
starts the ppp process then it can signal it no problem.  BUT....when I
tried to bring the line UP from the web page I get :

    demand_free:    user access denied

(demand_free is the line I'm trying to bring up)

in the cgi_error log.  Which I thought was wierd....this is the key
bit.....I the su'd to "pppweb" and tried to bring the line up.  This to
reported "user access denied".

So what I want to know is.

1) why can I only use user ppp when I directly log in as the user
"pppweb"...not su (note that when I su to root ppp is fine)?
2) is there a way to solve the problem?
3) if not any suggestions about how I go about the above?

AJ

Alex Moore (ajm4@ukc.ac.uk)
http://www.ukc.ac.uk/php/ajm4