Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:53:18 +0100
From:      Joachim Jaeckel <Joachim.Jaeckel@coffeebreak.de>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to run Visual-Age for Java/Linux under FreeBSD

Hello,

because of the many mails I got, here's the description. Maybe you would
like to present it on the FreeBSD-Java pages (after a
read-through/correcting my english ;-)

Additionally, I'll create a small WEB-page which will be available
around this week under http://www.coffeebreak.de (/freebsd or something
like this...)

How to do it:

This description is based on the components I had, when I start it. I'm
using

- a 4.0 -current snapshot from the 27. january 2000,
- and a linux_base-6.0.shar, downloaded at the 18. december 1999

I think that you should be able to use VAJ even with the 3.4-RELEASE of
FreeBSD and the current linux_base-6.1. But you need definetly a
RedHat-6.x compatible linux-emulator.

1. I installed the linux_base-6.0 port.
2. The linux_base port doesn't contain the
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4* link and library, I had to
extract these lib's from the linux_base-5.2 port.

3. I downloaded Visual-Age from the spc (IBM developer connection, the
company I worked for, is a member of the spc). The filename is
vajp3ux.zip. This version contains the Visual Age for Java -
Professional Version 3.0 for Linux, with the 1.1.7 jdk and an 1.0.3 JFC.

4. Start the linux emulation

The following should be done by the user who would like to use the VAJ.

5. The user NEEDS a .Xresources file with the following contents:

*basicLocale:   C
*timeFormat:    C
*numeric:       C
*displayLang:   C
*inputLang:     C

(without this file loaded, you'll get some weird error-messages, when
you try to start the VAJ! - and it'll hang...)

6. Extract the vaj zip-file as the user who would like to work with it.

7. call "./vajide"

8. Create "cool-" programs ;-)

9. Send me a short mail of success, that I know that someone other could
run it, too.

10. Make your programs available under the BSD-License, to the
BSD-Community! ;-)

I hope, that I have not forgotten something to mention?! If you've
problems to start it, please contact me, that we could check yours and
my kernel-options... (but I think that would not be a problem...)

Hope that helps!

Ciao,
Joachim.