Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2014 12:01:01 -0500
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mariadb55-server: mysql_secure_installation script misconfigured

Hey all,

Hi all, I must admit that I have very little experience in handling database=
s, but the behavior of the program was weird enough that I figured the probl=
em wasn't with me.

When I run the mysql_secure_installation script, the default values it comes=
 with make the script nonfunctional. First, it attempts to create and chmod t=
wo files: ".my.cfg.$$" (the config file) and ".mysql.$$" (something called "=
command"). However, this fails with a "read-only filesystem" error. It seems=
 to not be specifying any path before the two files, as when I manually spec=
ify a path (like /var/db/mysql/my.cfg and /usr/local/mysql). The script also=
 needs to be called with the option "--basedir=3D/usr/local", which seems un=
necessary considering that setting ought to be the default in the first plac=
e. Once I make these modifications, the script works just fine.

Is it is this actually an issue? Or is this just a gap in my knowledge?

Thanks,
--Matt=