Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:26:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: diskless boot failures with PXE 2.0 boot, diskless X11 Termi

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, John Baldwin wrote:
All right, I saw I was false in using bootp ... :-(

Now I set up a small DHCP server configuration with one
experimental client. Starting bootprocess over LAN with
PXE NIC works, it receives it's IP, netmask, gateway IP.
But when starting TFTP (I think now we are to boot any kind
of bootloader) I have no glue what's going on ... :-( When
using bootp previously I used a partition /usr/vol1/diskless
in which I let tftpd 'chroot' (by obtaining -s in inetd.conf),
there I created tftpboot and rootfs. In tftpboot I installed as
suggested some small files like 'cfg.10.0.0.1' for booting the
apropriate station by IP. Well, all things seems to be different
from the traditional bootp/tftp configuration when using DHCPD.

It seems that it is not very common to use FBSD as diskless
X Terminal that way. I can not find any suggestions how to do
a full install, I found a lot of fragments, a mixture fo DHCP
and bootp.
:>
:>On 31-Oct-00 O. Hartmann wrote:
:>> Hello.
:>>
:>> I do some tests on a diskless machine and I get no success on it.
:>> I have to install a bunch of diskless X11 terminals (custom made)
:>> based on standard hardware. As NIC we have Intel EtherExpress
:>> PRO 10/100+ adaptors (fxp). They have all the same freshly updated
:>> PXE boot PROM (flash) version 4.0.12 from Intel (PXE-standard 2.0).
:>>
:>> I already set up bootp and tftp (as I did this three years ago using
:>> netboot image to boot several PCs into a diskless workstation, that worked
:>> well!).
:>>
:>> I use now this NIC without success using bootpd and tftpd on a FreeBSD
:>> box, but with success with ISC DHCPD. Why? Is PXE explicitely using
:>> some advantages of DHCP or is there a configuration trick in bootptab?
:>> I want to use bootp and tftp because it's standard in FreeBSD.
:>
:>PXE uses DHCP, so you will have to use the DHCP server.
:>
:>> Thanks for helping ...
:>> Oliver
:>> -