Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:53:56 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        iMx <imx@streamvia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs v28 - 8.2 Release

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM, iMx <imx@streamvia.net> wrote:
> Ive applied the patch for v28 for FreeBSD 8.2 - however do i now need to =
perform essentially a 'make world' (albeit not doing just that, but doing t=
hings in the right order ;)?

Update/download the source tree.
Apply the ZFSv28 patch to the source tree.
Go through a buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld cycle.
Test that you have ZFSv28.

Then you can create a custom kernel configuration file, and do a
buildkernel/installkernel cycle to install the new kernel.

> I am currently using the mfsbsd ISO with it pre-compiled, but need to rec=
ompile the kernel for ALTQ support - can i just rebuild the kernel? Or woul=
d checking out the source from sysinstall and updating result in a zfs modu=
le that does not support v28? Which i would expect....

Don't use sysinstall once the system is installed.  Use the tools that
come with the OS (csup, svn, portsnap, freebsd-update, etc).  Trying
to use sysinstall after the syste is installed will cause you no end
of grief.  It's not a system management tool.  Don't try to use it
like one.  :)

> If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreci=
ated.

See above.

--=20
Freddie Cash