Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:47:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
Cc:        tcpdump-workers@tcpdump.org, ethereal-dev@ethereal.com, snort-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: kyxtech: freebsd outsniffed by wintendo !!?!?

(Please don't spam this many lists with such a large message.)

The test is pretty questionable.  FreeBSD 3.3 is over a year old, and I
would suspect that the one actual outstanding criticism here (filesystem
latency) is probably due to the default synchronous-mode filesystem.

A more valid test would use one of the 4.x family FreeBSD releases and
soft updates.  There are still plenty of things that could be done to
further accelerate the system, but that's the one clear item here.