Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 96 10:46 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few NITS about SCSI Tapes

[0]The dump application exits with the error
[0]		"st1: bad request, must be between 0 and 0"

[2]Last time I saw these symptoms they were a result of the way that SCSI
[2]tapes return the Check Condition bit set in otherwise OK responses to
[2]commands after exceptional conditions (usually media change).  So the
[2]first time you tried to access a drive after you'd inserted a new tape,
[2]you'd get an error.
[2]
[2]This is a 'feature' of the SCSI tape spec, and should be handled at the
[2]application level.

Then we will have to fix a lot of apps.  Once in this condition, I have
seen "cat" and "tar" also refuse to work, but you don't get the nonsense
message shown above.   If something breaks "cat", then I don't think
we should try to fix it at the application level.

[1]I'd prefer the status light.  Perhaps a "non-locking" dev is the answer?
[1]That is what I provided for the Matsushita CD-ROM drives.

[2]I'd be inclined to unlock on rewind; it makes little or no sense to be
[2]able to eject a partially-wound tape.  This would give automatic unlock
[2]on close of the rewind device (the default).

Actually ALL DAT drives perform an automatic rewind when the eject
button is pushed.  It is not possible to get the drive to voluntarily
eject a tape that is not rewound, so this is no an issue.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)|"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983