Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 18:20:31 +0200
From:      Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de>
To:        "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WARNING: Short packet. Try increasing the snap length

On Mittwoch, 29. Mai 2002 17:56, Jamie Heckford wrote:
> Im running samba and these messages appear when examining traffic
> with
> tcpdump:
                [packet data deleted]
> WARNING: Short packet. Try increasing the snap length
>
> Is this something to be worried about and is it a FreeBSD or SAMBA
> problem?

That's nothing to be worried about.  Tcpdump only snaps a certain
amount of each packet (68 bytes per default, I believe).  This is
enough to get information concerning IP, ICMP, TCP and UDP, but may
not be enough for other protocols.  Use tcpdump with a greater
snaplength, e.g. "tcpdump -s 200" instead of simply "tcpdump".

See the man page for tcpdump(1) for more information.

Regards,
Robert