Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:35:19 -0400
From:      Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
To:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xmms error

> > Add the following to your kernel config and install:
> >
> > options         "P1003_1B"
> > options         "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
> > options         "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
>
> But what does this change?
> Just some additional hooks in the kernel, or does
> it behave differently?
>
> Or asked the other way - are there drawbacks related?
>

> Regards,
> Marc

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

It adds POSIX-style priority scheduling capabilities to your kernel.  I
haven't seen any kernel issues with it, and I've had it in my kernel for
a long time.  There aren't very many end-user programs that make calls
to sched_setscheduler(), but xmms does.  One of my own programs does
too, and I've had no problems.  OF course, leaving it out is generally
harmless too, since sched_setscheduler() is a no-op (well, a log
message) when your kernel doesn't have POSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING.
Assuming xmms still runs O.K. without it, of course.

Daniel
~~~~~~