Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:22:47 +0200
From:      Victor Ophof <mr4hughz@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD equivalent of Microsoft DFS

for all: MS DFS =3D MS Distributed File system is NOT a FS=20

it's a shared directory on a drive  that is replicated via AD mechanism to =
1 or more locatations

If setup correctly DFS can have 2 or many more servers=2C and to replicate =
it only needs a partner server to replicate with.=20

all other servers can be turned off .. its neither a ring or a star shaped =
network. (not 100% true but makes explaining a lot easier)=20

=20

In Freebsd that woud be a CIFS or NFS share that is synced over 1 or more s=
ites (without bandwith control )=20

The only issue if you want to replicate this within Freebsd is how to setup=
 the sync process for more then 3 hosts.

And more specific if 1 file gets edited on to seperate "servers"  and repli=
cated to a 3rd server=2C what happens then?=20

Of course such a write action "when it happens"  is very very small chance.

=20

=20

IF you want to use FreeBSD as a file server for a windows enviroment (with =
ZFS) you can do 2 things

1) use ZFS and make a ISCSI -disk (istgt port for now) and connect the ISCS=
I disk to a Virtual server with a windows "server" host=20

2) use ZFS + SAMBA=2C configure samba to use the AD information to give acc=
ess (Single Sign On)=20

=20

The first one is the easiest & fastest way however it will cost you perform=
ance compared with the second solution.=20

The most difficult is to have samba connecting to a AD enviroment without a=
ny alterations on the windows machines/ad=20

and kerberos. However SAMBA & AD are reported to have a love hate relation =
ship working together=2C and can break=20

=20

=20

=20