Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 15:40:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?

> Ahem, this can be said for INRIA as well as  Francis is a FreeBSD user, has
> worked for NetBSD too (even before FreeBSD) and his  work has been included
> in NetBSD and I think OpenBSD. This is also the base for AIX stuff (like it
> or not, IBM took the INRIA code not another one).
>
> We have at least two people (including one committer) willing to port &
> maintain to 3.0 & CURRENT.

What is the status of it now, however?  Does it work with -current and
exist in a committable state?  Does IPv6 and IPSec work?  What about
OpenBSD's stated intention to merge the INRIA work with their own and
standardise on some sort of "hybrid" project?  Is INRIA taking this
work back?

I'm still waiting for some sort of indication that KAME does all of
these things, for example.  Everyone says it's good, but nobody will
say whether or not it works well enough to replace the IPSec port
which is sitting in our PR database and, as I said, is being actually
used in real-life situations.  If neither KAME nor INRIA is ready to
perform this role yet, that's something we also need to be aware of.

- Jordan