Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 06:34:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ES1371 - SB PCI 128

> In message <199812080122.CAA16345@oranje.my.domain> Marc van Woerkom writes:
> : The ES1371 depends on a different CODEC, something that is "AC97 compliant".
> : What is your CODEC chip labeled - AKM4540?
>
> I have 3 chips on my card (plus the usual assortment of connectors,
> resistors, caps and VRs and a xtal).
>
> The largest chip (100 pin) just says:
>
> 	ENSONIQ
> 	ES1371
> 	AudioPCI
> 	1371-0001-01
> 	A8A2111
> 	9819 USA
>
> The next larger one (48 pin) says:
>
> 	TriTech		(or maybe InTech)
> 	28023
> 	9806

i think this is the AC97 codec. 9806 is just the manufacturing date
(same as the 9819 in the above one). on the intel web pages there is a
description of AC97 codec -- then manufacturers implement it with
different numbers etc but the packaging and external interface is the same
for all.

> The third one has 8 pins and says
> 	4565
> 	80196
> 	  JRC

either a preamp or an amplifier.

If you think about it 4 digits (or 5, or 6) cannot possibly identify
each and every chip on earth, so before looking them you need at
least to know the manufacturer and the category of the device.

	cheers
	luigi