Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:10:10 GMT
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/151122: [boot] BTX 1.02 crashes on boot

The following reply was made to PR i386/151122; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, renato.camarao@gmail.com,
	George Morgan <gm.swdev@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:02:14 +0200

 Hi,

 I'm also getting this problem on the same hardware.

 I compiled a loader binary with BTXLDR_VERBOSE defined.

 I have no experience with ASm programming, and know very little about PC
 booting process internals, so I don't know if I'll be able to do much
 better about this. I'll anyway keep looking.

 For now I'm sending the output from the verbose loader when trying
 to boot with a USB umass device just in case someone can understand
 something from this:

 --------
 Attempting Boot From USB Device
 _
 BTX loader 1.00 Starting in protected mode (base mem=9f800)
 Arguments passed (esp=9e78c):
 <howto=80000000 bootdev=a050001e junk=0 0 0 bootinfo=df34>
 Relocated bootinfo (size=48) to 9f7b8
 Relocated arguments (size=18) to 9f7a0
 BTX version is 1.02
 Relocated kernel (size=690) to 9000
 Client base address is a000
 Client format is ELF
 text segment: offset=1000 vaddr=0 filesz=2f8bc memsz=2f8bc
 data segment: offset=31000 vaddr=30000 filesz=5568 memsz=c7e0
 ---------

 This is the screen just after locking up. The cursor at this point goes
 in the second line(where the _ is) and keeps blinking there.

 (the first line is oviously from the BIOS, but I included it for
 completeness)

 Thanks in advance for any help!

 --
 Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>