Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:58:27 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Alwyn Goodloe <agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipsec setup question

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:49:19PM -0500, Alwyn Goodloe wrote:
>=20
>  Hi folks, I am trying to set up an IPV4 over IPV4 tunnel on a testbed of
> four systems I have setup for research. Because its research my configura=
tion
> is probably a bit different than most of you would run in practice.
> The first test would have a tunnel bewteen the two ends of the network.
> (You can think of this as the client and server both acting as gateways
> with two routers in between).
>=20
> >From the somewhat limited documentation I did the
> following:
>=20
> gifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.3 192.168.5.12
> ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.3  192.168.5.12
> route add -net 192.168.5.12 -interface gif0
>=20
> Unfortunately I get the error message:
>=20
> error_message=3D/kernel:gif_out:recursively called too many times
>=20
>=20
> Anyone got any ideas??

The physical endpoints can't be the same as the tunnel endpoints.
Choose different values for ifconfig.  If you just want to encrypt
traffic between two hosts, no tunnels are needed.

> Also I would like to nest tunnels and by that I mean
>=20
> say have an end to end tunnel with ESP  but have each intermediate router
> (there are two of them) check AH headers on the packet.  Anyone see any
> problems with this.

No clue.  Actually nesting gif tunnels requires that you define
XBONEHACK when building your kernel.

-- Brooks

--=20

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8