Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:41:47 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        David Caldwell <caldwell_david@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 at 12:45 SAT, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday,  2 July 1998 at 18:09:15 -0700, David Caldwell wrote:
> >
> > I have a9 year old daughter and an 8 year old son who both have more
> > curiosity about "how does your computer work Dad???" than I did when I
> > bought my first TRS-80 model 3.My son at this moment is having some

I often wonder whether computers haven't become too complex for beginning
users.  Back in our days there was the VIC-20 and the TRS-80 and (esp. in the
UK) the Spectrum, and they were all wonderful and fashionable and state of
the art.  _And_ they were simple enough that a young teenager who played with
one incessantly for a year or three could know it inside out.

Nowadays...  how can a child ever hope to understand even the basic surface
elements of a PC, regardless of whether it runs Win95, NT, or a UNIX flavour?

I think those of us who are now in our mid - late 20's are lucky.  We had
those simple little home computers to play with at exactly the right time.
And then we had fabulous beasts like the Amiga and the ST to play with when
we were a little older and more mature.  And now we have FreeBSD.  :-)

But as to what is right for a child today...  I have no idea.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878