Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 08:31:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        ywliu@lin.wsl.sinica.edu.tw (Yen-Wei Liu)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal emulation weirdness ...

> Now I am telnetting from a FreeBSD 2.05R box to an HP-UX 9.01 workstation.
> On the FreeBSD side, I set up the terminal to cons25 or vt100, on
> the HP-UX 9.01 I always set up to vt100. When I use programs, such as vi,
> elm, etc., I always find there are some garbage characters on the screen
> , such as "1l", "1h", etc., and in emacs the enter key doesn't look like
> working - I have to press ctrl-l from time to time to refresh the screen.
>
> As for me , this has been existed from 2.0R. Is this my problem or a
> FreeBSD bug ? How can I work around this ?

Two ways -- I've done both on my HP systems:

1 -- add the cons25 termcap and terminfo to the HP.  Syscons looks like Ansi
     which is NOT an exact vt100.  You can also use ansi as your hp termcap
     which may work ok.  I've done both on HP-UX systems running 9.x.

2 -- build your kernel with PCVT instead of SYSCONS and then use vt100.

Both will work ok.

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |