Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:44:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      nsj@ncsu.edu (Nate Johnson)
To:        gdurka@mail.monmouth.com (Greg Durka)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no ftp

Greg,

I'm forwarding your message to the freebsd-questions mailing list, a list
designed just for questions like yours.  You should also (if you haven't
already) check the manual page for ppp ("man ppp" at your shell prompt) and
the documentation and mailing list archives on http://www.freebsd.org/
under "Documentation" and "Support," respectively.

Best of luck with your PPP woes and with FreeBSD, and thanks for your
support!

Cheers,
nsj

%My system is a 486dx IBM clone desktop. I installed freebsd, the kernel and
%manual, from dos using the .bin files downloaded from the internet. The
%installation disk was not able to download any packages from the freebsd
%website even after I connected manually to the net under the "term" mode.
%
%After much work, I was able to get ppp to logon to the net. Typing "shell"
%after the "ppp ON >" prompt, the program shelled back to the "myname>"
%prompt. Typing "ftp", the program went into the ftp mode. After typing
%"open ftp.roxen.com" at the "ftp>" prompt, the program returned the error
%message:
%
%ftp: ftp.roxen.com: unknown host.
%
%No matter what website was requested, the program returned the same error.
%Below is a portion of the ppp.conf file:
%
%set phone (ISP phone number)
%set login (login sequence)
%set timeout 0
%set ifaddr (DNS 1) (DNS 2)  0.0.0.0  0.0.0.0
%delete all
%add 0 0 HISADDR
%set openmode passive
%
%I had to set the openmode to passive, otherwise the program disconnected
%after 10 seconds. I need to download a browser, xwindows, and other
%programs, but cannot without ftp. There is no mention of this problem in
%the handbook, manual, faq's, or newsproups.
%
%An alternative would be to download the unix files into a dos directory,
%and then transfer them. Following the directions in one of the faq's, I
%typed the following:
%
%# cd /dev
%# ./makedev wd0s2
%# mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s2  /
%
%The cursor would then move to the beginning of the next line. If I typed
%/dos or any directory, instead of /,  the program would return error
%messages. At the next line there was no response to any commands such as cp
%or dd.
%
%Any advice would be appreciated. I want to get rid of msdos and windows.
%Because unix is new to me, please make your instructions specific. Thanks.
%
%Greg
%

--
Nate Johnson / nsj@ncsu.edu / nsj@freebsd.org  |      You must be smarter
System Administration & Weather Geek / KF4WVQ  |  <---  than this stick