Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:55:20 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Alban Hertroys" <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Martin <list@manuelmartini.it>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mysql Benchmark  on 4BSD/ULE scheduler and i386/amd64

Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Sorry, couldn't resist...

Being a troll?

> This being mysql, the number of processors isn't going to matter
> much, no matter how many connections you have. Mysql doesn't scale
> very well to multiple cpu's.

You seem to have been paying no attention at all to any of the mysql
performance benchmarks and optimisation efforts that have being going
on recently.

> Not to say that PostgreSQL is the ultimate benchmark instead of
> mysql, just a better one. Of course they both have their uses, but
> IMO mysql is loosing terrain fast.

Any benchmark which looks to closely emulate "real life work" is
valid, just be because "you" dont use or like a particular product
doesnt make it any less suitable for testing / benchmarking. I'm sure
if you took a survey of how many people are using mysql vs PostgreSQL
it would show that the former is much more popular DB. No this doesnt
make it better but it does make it a more suitable candidate for
performance work as the benefits will benefit more people and more
systems.

Obviously this doesnt mean that optimisations for DB X wont benefit
DB Y, or other apps for that matter, as its likely they will.

> [1] I really mean it doesn't compare. PostgreSQL provides more (and
> IMHO better) features, and can be faster under the right
> circumstances (usually complex queries or concurrent writes). It also
> scales almost linearly to the number of cpu's, provided there are
> enough simultaneous connections.

It also has a "known" bottleneck to its performance on FreeBSD see
earlier comments in other threads by Kris on this which clearly
limits any benefit gained from using it as a benchmark.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.