Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:03:03 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: confused over ftp access from FBSD client

On 2002-06-23 17:02 +0000, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> We have a FBSD ftp server connected to the net through a OpenBSD
> firewall. What confuses me is that we never have a problem
> connecting from various win clients, but from a FreeBSD or OpenBSD
> client we have to issue a 'pas' (turning passive mode off) command
> to get a directory listing or transfer.

When you are behind a gateway that does NAT (network address
translation) I would expect that you have to turn passive mode ON
instead of OFF, as you seem to be hinting at above.

This can be easily done in any sufficiently modern FTP client, and you
can even set the default to passive mode for the stock FTP client of
FreeBSD by making sure your environment contains:

	FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES

- Giorgos