Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:56:57 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        blix <blix@offworldgaming.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 191, Issue 37

blix wrote:
> my console and messages file is filling up with these entries:

Hi Dan.

I hate console spam. Whenever I go to log into my server's ttyv0 [which
happens about four times a year], instead of the getty prompt I see
reams of out-of-date console errors which I would much rather have
vanish into the syslog daemon but somehow don't.

I read somewhere about how you can edit syslog.conf to redirect errors
to ttyv0 into /var/log/messages, but obviously I misunderstood because
it didn't work. Try Googling for syslog.conf howtos, you might have
better luck than I did.

That error actually looks pretty severe to me. I'd run some diagnostics
on da3, like Spinrite for instance. Or just replace da3, if it's
something easily replaceable like a USB stick.

HtH,
Adam J Richardson