Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 & freetype

 > Hi,
 > Reading RELNOTES for XFree86-4.1.0 revealed that they are now
 > providing a way to easily use external freetype2 library instead
 > of one buindled with XFree86. Could you please reconsider your
 > last decision to use buindled freetype, which if my memory serves
 > was mainly due to headache associated with extending and maintaining
 > already large XFree86 patchset.

This is not new, and there is an option in script/configure to not
compile the builtin freetype. Configure asks:
	Do you want support for TrueType fonts? [YES]

From the cvs log:
revision 1.74
date: 2001/03/20 15:55:00;  author: jmz;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1
Add the possibility to disable support for TrueType fonts.

Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Zucconi -- PGP Key: finger jmz@FreeBSD.org [KeyID: 400B38E9]