Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:25:15 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another go at bandwidth delay product pipeline limiting for TCP

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 12:05:16AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I queued the outgoing acks and clocked them out by only allowing an ack to
> be released and forwarded, when my own 'metered simulation' of the ack
> rate had passed the ack in the packet..  It had the desired affect...
this seems to be the same approach used by "Packeteer". Maybe they
ended up patenting it :)

On the other hand, you can achieve pretty much the same effect with
dummynet, as you release incoming (bulky) packets at the desired
rate. Both dummynet and your/packeteer approach cannot avoid the
initial queue buildup at the far end, but they are 100% equivalent
and usavble in the steady state (with responsive flows).

	cheers
	luigi