Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:36:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   WARNING: OFF-TOPIC re M$....

     Advance apologies if you consider this report by the High-Perfomance
     Computing folks spam.  FreeBSD is mentioned often in this news item.
     ...Since this wire is in the public domain, I'll put it up on my
     website within the next 24 hours...

     gary

     <paste, paste>

Lee Gomes Reported For The Wall Street Journal Online: Microsoft Corp., even
while mounting a new campaign against open-source software, has quietly been
using such free computer code in several major products, as well as on key
portions of a popular Web site -- despite denying last week that it did so.

Software connected with the FreeBSD open-source operating system is used in
several places deep inside several versions of Microsoft's Windows software,
such as in the "TCP/IP" section that arranges all connections to the Internet.
The company also uses FreeBSD on numerous "server" computers that manage major
functions at its Hotmail free e-mail service, whose registered users exceed
100 million and make it one of the Web's busiest sites.

--
   Gary D. Kline    kline@thought.org  www.thought.org    Public service Unix