Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 00:42:56 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: code talks:  announcing EIDE bus master patches

On Jul 31, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> If I read the AMCC PCI matchmaker databook correctly, PIO to a
> memory-mapped buffer is likely to be severely affected by whether the
> PCI bridge in question supports cache line read/write operations.

CPU writes to a PCI device are (at least in the case of x86 CPUs)
always issued independently, and only the host to PCI bridge chip
will see requests to sequentially increasing memory addresses and
in that case just keep on sending data with no intervening PCI
address cycles.

This feature can be enabled in all host to PCI bridges since at
least the Intel Saturn (introduced some 4 years ago), though it
did not yet work reliably in all isituations, then.

Today it is generally enabled and working.

> Is this a potential issue here?

No. No chipset (that I know of) performs read-ahead on CPU reads,
even to PCI bus address ranges that have been marked prefetchable.
But you can use a bus-master PCI chip (e.g. an NCR PCI SCSI chips)
as a DMA controller, and will then be able issue burst transfers
in any direction.
A 53c810A does make for a cheap and fast DMA controller, too bad
that it occupies another one of those scarce PCI slots :)

Regards, STefan