Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 16:55:32 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: worklist_remove panic

David Malone wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:25:32PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > No dump (dumps seem to have been broken for about a month now), but a
> > stacktrace from DDB:
>
> Crashdumps have been working for me recently, (apart from the fact
> that they overrun the end of my swap partition by 64k and clobber
> the superblock of my /var partition).

Check your disk label.  I got burned a few months back on a fairly old
install where I created swap first, then root.  This causes the swap
partition to start at sector 0, with root straight after.  For some reason,
sysinstall or the kernel decided to += 64k on the start address of the swap
partition (to avoid swap clobbering the fdisk, bootblocks, etc at the start
of the disk), but neglected to remove 64k from the size.  So, when I
finally crashed the box with dumps enabled, it took out the first 64k of my
root filesystem.  I never found the code that made this change.  Either it
is well hidden, or got removed a while back.  This machine was installed
from a 4.0-SNAP from some time before march 1999.

Cheers,
-Peter