Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:51:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some observations on stream.c and streamnt.c

    When I was working on ICMP_BANDLIM I ran a number of tests on Best's
    machines.  I found that the machines could handle a high incoming packet
    rate just fine, and that the problems tended to occur when the machines
    tried to respond to the packets.  Hence ICMP_BANDLIM focuses on limiting
    the error-packet response rate.

    I do not think optimizing the input path will gain you any significant
    improvement for the risk involved (the input path works, changing it
    might break it).  Instead I would concentrate on ensuring that the machine
    does not overly-respond to these sorts of attacks.  The very last thing I
    would worry about is whether we do an extra hash table lookup or run the
    packet checksum early or late!

    What I would recommend is that the ICMP_BANDLIM mechanism simply be
    extended to include the sending of TCP RST packets in certain cases.

    I strongly disagree with anything that will break the TCP protocol...
    for example, I think using the TCP_RESTRICT_RST option (or even having
    it in the kernel in first place) is a *bad* idea.

						-Matt