Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 14:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pine freezing up with PPP

I have a local copy of pine configured to access my e-mail account at the
university, via PPP. (not ppp anymore.) I have done ftp and netscape
through this PPP connection both before and after this problem occurs with
Pine. Also, the problem seems sporadic, and usually occurs only after I've
spent over a minute reading a message or composing a reply.

the problem:

When I compose a message and go to send it, Pine will occassionally enter
its "sending message" mode, and never recover. I've waited up to ten
minutes, but eventually my only recourse was to kill -INT the process.

Normally, Pine will display "sending message" for only a couple seconds,
and then display "writing FCC", followed by "message sent".

At first I thought the PPP connection was lost, but both while Pine was
locked up and after killing it, I can still use netscape, ftp, and telnet
through the connection and the prompt is still in capitol P's.

Anyone have an idea? for now, I'm telneting a server at the Univ. and
using thier pine. The PPP connection stays solid for that.

Ken