Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:18:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        Srikanth Kumar <skumar@newbridge.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't remote login as root

That's how it's supposed to be.  Not being able to login as root means
that if someone does gain access to your system by sniffing your
passwords, they still have to get root access, which is another barrier
(you want as many as you can get).

Also, you shouldnt be using telnet.  It's insecure.  Use ssh.  Using root
passwords over ssh is still not advisable, but doing so over telnet is
handing your machine over to some hacker on a plate.

If you require a little more help in setting it up, you may find an
article or two at www.freebsddiary.org.

The correct method is always to login as a normal user, and su to root
when (and only when) you need to.  Anything that is not dependent on root
access should be done as a normal user, *especially* if you are new to
UNIX.

Cliff Rowley

- while (!asleep) { code(); }