Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 14:19:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      edward@seaysys.com (Edward E. Elzey)
To:        fadorno@ix.netcom.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Printcap and Laser printer

Received from Fred Adorno:

> this
> The

> >> rebooted

> >> Thanks for responding, Chris!  I did as you ask and I got an error
> msg
> >> on screen that reads "lpd [158]: cannot execv
> >> /usr/libexec/lpr/#!/bin/sh:"
> >>
> >> My printcap reads:
> >>
> >> lp|epson|action|laser|Epson Actionlaser 1500:\
> >>     :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:mx#0:\
> >>     :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/#!/bin/sh:\
> >>     printf "\033&k3G"
> >>     exec /bin/cat
> >>
> >Maybe this 'in-line shell script in printcap is a tricky
> >feature but unless I had understood that trick in full
> >and were sure that FreeBSD supports feature
> >I'd be conservative and wrtoe the if line as follows
> >
> >     :if=/usr/local/bin/lpf:\
> >
> >and create that script 'lpf' in /usr/local/bin:
> >
> >#!/bin/sh
> >echo "\033&k3G"
> >exec /bin/cat
> >
> >proviced that the guy who gave you that escape sequence knows what
> he's doing.
> >
> >See what happens then.
> >
> >> What's the solution?  When it prints, I get garbage and it form
> feeds
> >> forever.  When I do the lptest, I only get 1 line of ASCI characters
>
> >> and it form feeds indefinitely.
> >>

> >--Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
> >
> I did as you said.  Still when I do the lptest,
>  I get 1 line of ASCII and form feeds forever.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your printer is not seeing any "carriage return" characters.  The

   echo "\033&k3G"

should be telling the printer to add a <CR> preceeding each <LF> character.
It seems that this is not happening.  I can think of a couple of reasons
this might be.  Perhaps the \033 is not being properly expanded into an
<ESC> character.  Or, the printer may not be in PCL emulation mode (emulating
an HP LaserJet). Or that printer may not be capable of PCL emulation.

Do any of the characters "&k2G" show up at the beginning of the line that
does print?  This would indicate that the <ESC> is not being handled right.

If the printer can be set-up to always translate <LF> into <CR><LF>, you
might try setting that.

--
Edward E. Elzey
FreeBSD by avocation,