Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 16:05:46 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD, GPL, the world today. (fwd)

Note: Alfred and I know each other and are friends, making the below
comments less arbitary than they seem.

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 02:30:27PM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I'm not saying that C is the only answer, I'm just disagreeing with you
> that buffer overflows are C's fault.  It's just as easy to do bad things
> in other languages.
>
> blame the fact that assembler is hardly required for somone to get a
> degree and the fact that the compsci departments at many schools are
> terribly watered down so that they actually graduate people.
>
> I don't want overhead in my code.

Then don't use C - you get a lot of overhead due to the memory
management model being screwed, the language being too low level for
the compiler to do proper optimization, and the standard linkers being
either way too dumb or way too smart (depending on how you look at it).

To state this another way: Alfred, you're repeating a lot of myths.
If you're going to have an opinion about this stuff (and you don't
have to - saying "I don't know enough to have an opinion" is fair
statement), you need to get the facts.  Compiler theory, memory
management speed measurements, cache handling, average number of bugs
connected to different programming paradigms, etc.

Eivind.