Date:        Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:55:17 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Jorge Opaso Pazos <jopaso@geocities.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 07:00:17PM -0400, Jorge Opaso Pazos wrote:
>    With sysinstall I selected ISO-8859-1 fonts (configure->console->font)
> to see the correct accent keys. My keyboard map is Spanish ISO keymap
> (accent keys). My question: What can I do to see the curses based
> application in the correct form with my configuration? With when I start a
> curses based app. the border of windows appeared with nubers or characters
> in the place of lines. When I select "use default font" in sysinstall,
> everything is okay with curses, but I can't see the correct accent keys
> like ñ, ó, á,... (spanish).
>    Thank you very much and sorry for my english, bye.

Make sure that your 'TERM' environment variable is set to 'cons25l1' instead
of the default 'cons25'.
You can either do this directly from the shell with
export TERM=cons25l1

or, for a more permanent fix, change the references in /etc/ttys from cons25
to cons25l1.
(I suggest you test things work before you change /etc/ttys)

This at least fixed things for me when I had similar problems.