Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:33:17 -0500
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   panic : cannot mount root

I have been using Release 2.2.2 since it was first cut by Walnut Creek
without any problems. However since I changed my motherboard some
of the probes (for things I don't have !) have been taking excessive times
during boot up.

I decided to prune these out in the kernel config to speed things up a bit
however I am now getting the message :-

panc: can't mount root

I tried booting single user without success (I can still boot the system
using 'sd(1,a)/kernel.old').

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong ? Before anyone says upgrade
to 2.2.5 I am reluctant to do this when I view the number of problems that
people seem to be experiencing.

Malcolm G. Boff
Sylmex Ltd.