Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:20:53 +0600
From:      Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Living on gmirror: need to reincarnate /etc/rc.early

Hi!

In RELENG_8, gmirror is good enough to keep whole HDD pair withing the mirror.
Its performance, stability any pretty ease of maintainance allows
to use it widely.

With wide deployment of gmirror in production I've faced inability
of RELENG_8 to store kernel crashdumps out-of-the-box.
gmirror manual page documents a way to setup FreeBSD so that
it would store crashdumps again but that way involves /etc/rc.early
removed from RELENG_8. I've read about intentions - it was unsafe etc.
But we still need working crashdump support.

Easiest way is to reincarnate /etc/rc.d/early support making it better and safer
and it should support gmirror's mechanics for crashdumps out-of-the-box.

Comments?

Eugene Grosbein