Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:52:35 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD off of CDROM

Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com> writes:
>    When you boot into your CD, and after the CD is mounted as /,
> mount the disk as a union with the CD /.  The result is that
> you'll have the executables on the CD, but any data being written
> will go to the disk.

Hmm, I had considered that strategy. What I noticed was this line in
the man pages for mount_union(8):

BUGS
  THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
  AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
  RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

Naturally, given this information, production systems with that
strategy are fairly out of the question.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Possession of a system of knowledge, or any part of it, or an interest in it
or in discovering one, shouldn't be assumed to confer any license or capacity
to operate it. Individual criticisms of a system, incapacity to operate it,
or dissatisfaction with it should not be confused with any shortcoming of the
system itself.