Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:30:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      HighWind Software Information <info@highwind.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Recent 3.0's are Depressing

After lots of work a few months ago, we got all of our software working
great under FreeBSD 3.0.

In fact, it STILL works great.. That is, under:

% uname -a
FreeBSD zonda.highwind.com 3.0-19980831-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-19980831-SNAP #0: Mon Aug 31 14:03:19 GMT 1998     root@make.ican.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

However, under the newer FreeBSD's it doesn't seem to work. Our
application goes into 100% user space CPU and makes no progress.

  3583 typhoond CALL  sigprocmask(0x3,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   sigprocmask 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  sigprocmask(0x1,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   sigprocmask 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  gettimeofday(0x1574f4c,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   gettimeofday 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  setitimer(0x1,0x1574f54,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   setitimer 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  sigprocmask(0x3,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   sigprocmask 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  sigprocmask(0x1,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   sigprocmask 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  gettimeofday(0x1554f4c,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   gettimeofday 0
  3583 typhoond CALL  setitimer(0x1,0x1554f54,0)
  3583 typhoond RET   setitimer 0

(I'm fairly sure this is from uthread_kern.c)

We are an "aout" binary and have even tried STATICALLY linking with our
libc_r. It still goes into this loop.

Any ideas what could have happened to cause this. It WAS working fine. Now,
after a little progress, we get into an infinite loop.

Typhoon uses lots of disk and network I/O. What could we have tripped on?

Seems to me, statically linking in libc_r would have eliminated any of
the recent changes in libc_r from blame.

I'm a bit lost as to what to do. I guess we could upgrade our FreeBSD
machine and begin banging our heads against the wall.

I'm wondering if anyone on this list would have a guess as to what new
changes to the kernel may have caused this.

-Rob