Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:43:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to modify default inetd.conf, have sysinstall prompt to edit , inetd.conf

> One of the observations that has been made fairly frequently to me is that
> the current default inetd.conf puts many FreeBSD users at risk
> unnecessarily, as many of them have moved to using SSH for remote access
> needs.  In particular in light of the recent ftpd and telnetd security
> bugs, it seems like 4.4-RELEASE would be a good time to move to a more
> conservative default of having both of these services disabled in the base
> install, as both NetBSD and OpenBSD have moved to doing.

FWIW, as one of the folks who argued against this in the past (function
before security), the recent telnet remote access bugs have (finally?)
convinced me that all un-necessary services should be disabled.

Even 'local/innocent' adminstrators can get themselves in trouble real
fast if another bad bug like the telnet one is found/exploited.

Nate