Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:57:38 +0100
From:      Paolo Pisati <flag@libero.it>
To:        FreeBSD_Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   spontaneous rebbot, memtest and overclock sodimm

Damn!

Probably I found the source of my problem and now I'm goint to explain:

2 months ago I bought an Asus laptop (l8400l) with this hw

-PIII@1133Mhz with 133Mhz bus
-chipset Intel 815EM
-256 MbRAM
-Ati mobile ly 16mb ram

the memory is divided in 2 banks

-the first is a 128mb bank soldered inside the laptop mobo 8ns (133Mhz)
-the second is a normal sodimm 128 mb double face bank, on the chip mem
 there's a little label with written the manufacturer name (apacer), the
 part num (71.74470.110), serial num (2301435-00405) and the sigle PC133

The computer works very well and for the price is a really bargain, but
(yes there's a but...) under FreeBSD I suffered some spontaneous reboot
from time to time.

After a period of investigation I decided to run the memtest
(/usr/ports/sysutils/memtest) and HORROR: the program found a lot of problem
with my memory (ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!), but this is strange
cause the first thing that I did when i bought the laptop was to run
this memtest and everything was ok 2 month ago, anyway....

Then I decided to find a new memtest so I tried Goldmem:

after 6 hours of test no problems were found with this program.

Strange.

At the end, trying to grasp some other info on my mem, I used a little util
found on the Asus installation cd (probe something) and SURPRISE SURPRISE
the mem soldered on the mobo is a 8ns bank (so a real PC133) while the
sodimm bank is a 10ns bank: but my bus is running at 133Mhz -> my mem
is overclocked!!!

Immediately I pulled out the guilty sodimm and rerun memtest -> no errors!!!

I'm a bit disappointed from this adventure, what can I say?
What do you think?

Is it possible that the first run of memtest wasn't able to find the problem?
Why goldmem can't find the problem?

Now I'm running with halt mem and It seems to works well... =P

--

Paolo

Visit the Italian FreeBSD User Group Site: www.gufi.org