Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:33:55 +0200
From:      Matt Douhan <mdouhan@fruitsalad.org>
To:        thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setup routing entry for host with a non-local IP address

Hi

Depending on the FBSD implementation of proxy ARP what you should be able t=
o=20
do is the follwing

add a static host route to Host B with the next hop being HOST B itself

now what will happen is that as long as an host with the same IP does not=20
already exist on the real 10.10.0.x network the BSD machine _may_ answer on=
=20
behalf of HOST B and as such IP communications will be established without=
=20
further problems

This is commonly used in large networks with old legacy equipment that have=
=20
IP's hardcoded in its apps.

/// Matt

On Thursday 10 October 2002 10:00, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> Le 2002-10-09, Bill Moran =E9crivait :
> > Is it feasible to add an alias on xl0 that is in the 10.10.0.x network
> > space?  That sounds like the easiest way to handle the issue to me.
>
> No, hostA already has another interface on the 'real' 10.10.0.x network.

=2D-=20
Matt Douhan
www.fruitsalad.org
CCIE #4004