Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:58:07 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't record hifi audio on with sox on -stable

On Tue, 24-Oct-2000 at 23:43:39 -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have submitted a follow-up on my previous pr (kern/21438) concerning
> 4.1-rel here but it might have been considered rude by some so I will
> start a fresh new thread with this since (1) a new release is coming
> (yay) and (2) I do not seem to be the only one having audio problems with
> -stable. A search on the freebsd.org engines does not yield any result for
> "record overrun" (my problem).
>
> Ok here we go.
>
> Testing are all made with "rec" from the sox (12.16) package. Recording
> first a simple file (8000 Hz, 8 bits, mono) works correctly. If I switch
> to 16 bits, the recorded file is just empty (i.e. no sound at all). Trying
> now 22050 Hz at 8 bits, mono: working correctly.

16 bit recording with the AWE is broken in the pcm driver. It even
announces it correctly that it does only AFMT_U8 but most programs
ignore that.

> Now trying 44100 Hz at 8 bits, mono gives me:
>
> pcm0: record overrun, dumping 44500 bytes
> [...]
>
> (about 1 warning/second) And the sample is just 8192 bytes big. CPU usage
> also gets really high (almost 100%). Same with 16 bits recording at
> 44100Hz, mono.
>
> Doing the same in stereo yields the predictable result:
>
> pcm0: record overrun, dumping 89212 bytes

These went away here after doing a kernel rebuild a few days ago.

> which is vaguely the double of mono recording overruns.
>
> So that's about it. The message comes from line 577 in file
> /sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c. I do not understand clearly what could be
> the problem here.
>
> The sound card is a AWE32:
> sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x300-0x301,0x388-0x38b irq
> 9 drq 0,5 on isa0
> pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0
>
> It's odd, however, that drq 0 thing... The system is a 4.1.1-stable dated
> on 2000.10.17.

I have:

sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0

> Playing hi-fi doesn't yield the same problems, on the first look, this
> might be because it's using the other drq setting (???).
>
> So that's about all I can think of now, please send in any comments or
> ideas regarding this.

The only idea I have is that I want my voxware driver back :-(

	-Andre