Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:06:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Request of comments/advices/support on buying a Wan routing card

Hi, I am student of computer science in Colombia,
southamerica at www.uninorte.edu.co
I am creating a web hosting company with my family and
help of my family and teachers of university.
I will have a leased line of 19,2 kbps (for begin)
from a local telco. The protocol used is Cisco Hdlc
and the interface is rs232, this is the diagram:
The big Internet <<>> (TELCO/ISP) Cisco 4xxx <-> Cisco
rs232 cable<-> DTU (DSU/CSU) <-> ***** Leased Line
***** <-> (My office) DTU (DSU/CSU) <-> wan's rs232
cable <-> Wan card - My server.
My problems is that i dont know what type of wan card
buy, these are the options i got:
Sangoma S508: 16bits isa, 2 ports, rs232, hdlc?
www.sangoma.com/s508
Etinc ET5025-16: 16bits isa, 1 port, rs232, hdlc
www.etinc.com/boards.htm#ET5025_16
Cyclades PC300/RSV: 32bits pci, 1 port, rs232, hdlc?
http://www.cyclades.com/pc300.html

That's all i got, please, if anyone have experiences
(bad/good) with these products let me know.
Any comment/advice about a better
performing/optimization/etc is OFCOURSE! welcome.
The server that will run routed is:
Dual PII-400(intel l440gx)
128 simm ram
4.3 scsi-3
8.2 ide (logs/proxy cache)
FreeBSD-3.4

Server's taks:
httpd
firewall
proxy (accelerator)
smtp
pop3
cgi
ftpd

Will the routed reduce *many* of server performing?
what are pros/crons of set a web/mail/ftp server as a
router?
thanks alot for your help!, few people use this card
here and i have been searching in mailing list, but
there many differents (and contraried) points of view,
i'm lost about these cards but in many way$ i *should*
use them...