Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:50:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook install hangs with blank screen

I wrote:

> Trying to install any of the recent 2.2.5-BETAs and 3.0-SNAPS
> on my notebook does not work.  Everything seems to be fine,
> all the devices are probed successfully, but at the point
> when the main installation menu should come up, the display
> blanks.  I can hear the disk chirping for a second or two,
> as if everything else is fine.  I can even switch to the
> emergency holographic shell (Alt-F2) to see messages.
>
> I've tried disabling everything that I don't need, including
> all the serial and parallel ports.  Still no luck.

To summarize what I found, it was the CD-ROM drive that was
hanging the system and not the display.  After tip'ing in
from another system and using the serial console option
in the boot floppy, I was able to see where it was hanging.

The CD-ROM was initially probed successfully, so I never
tried disabling it.  But after I disabled it, I got the
installation menus :-)

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org