Date:      13 Oct 2001 16:06:16 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strike three, you're out

Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Remove UCONSOLE from kernel config.  This has been discussed to death
> > several times on the lists.
> 	So your suggestion is just not to use that feature? I have to say that
> I don't really like that answer. :) Is this something you think is just
> impossible to fix?

It's very difficult to fix.  The problem is that printf() is used in
the strangest parts of the deepest bowels of the kernel, but if a
process grabs the console with TIOCCONS, printing something to the
console causes the process that grabbed it to be woken up, which is a
bad idea if, for instance, printf() was called from within mi_switch()
(as is the case for those "microuptime() went backwards" messages).

>                     My examination of what I could find in the lists
> seems to indicate that this bug affects more than must xconsole, it also
> presents problems during install.

Yes, sysinstall uses TIOCCONS to redirect the console to ttyv1.

> > Create /etc/host.conf (-CURRENT uses nsswitch.conf instead, and
> > /etc/rc will bitch, but just ignore that)
> 	*slaps forehead* D'oh! That makes total sense, thanks for the tip.
> Warner, does this sound like something that should go into UPDATING?

I'm wondering if actually the correct solution might be to have
/etc/rc generate host.conf at boot time from the contents of
nsswitch.conf.  I'll see if I can cook up an awk script to do that.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org