Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:51:46 -0400
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux compatibility in 4.7

Hi

During my install of 4.7-RELEASE I selected Linux compatibility.  I saw a
message saying that it was istalling 6.1_3.  I was surprised, and a little
bit miffed, because 4.7 was supposed to have upgraded Linux compatibility to
7.1.

After the install, I checked on what packages where installed and I saw
linux_base-6.1_3 *AND* linux_base-7.1_1!  Now I am confused.  Are there
actually two packages?  I would have thought that 7.1 would be backward
compatible, so a 6.1 would not be necessary.  Is that not the case?

Can anyone explain, and maybe shed some further light on this?

Thanks!

(c) Copyright 2002  John Daniels.  All rights reserved.