Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 18:20:15 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus <Kevin_Weiss/AUS/Lotus@lotus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file sharing/internet connectivity; freebsd to be my gateway?

--------------92D3E04AF227EA3F9CCC104C

Hello,

I've got such a setup at home :

* a PC with two NIC (one running isc-dhcp from 3.2-S, connected via a
cable modem to the Internet / the other NIC is on a private net :
192.168.x.y)
this PC runs natd(8) -dynamic along with a simple firewall on the
external NIC : this way the other machines (connected on the private
network) have a fixed address and nevertheless can have an access to the
'Net.

* All inside PC's are on private addresses, and are (in my setup) not
visible from the 'Net (the redirect_port feature of natd should help you
with seting up servers on the inside network (you could also build two
"inside" networks to get a DMZ)

Anyway, if your address is dynamic (being allocated via DHCP), you will
need to use some "dynamic DNS" service (look in the archives for some
hints).

	TfH

Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus wrote:

> I have an older machine that now contains FreeBSD 3.1.  I will be moving
> soon, and when
> I move, I'll have access to a cable modem connection.  From what I
> understand, this ISP
>  uses dynamic IP addressing.
>
> Under the FreeBSD gateway machine, there will be two workstations, a
> Windows version,
> and (another) FreeBSD version.  I want the FreeBSD gateway machine to route
> the packets
> from the internet to the two machines.  I want to implement IP
> masquerading.  I own a
> registered domain (but we'll just call it example.com for simplicity). I
> want to be able to share
> files and folders between the three machines. I plan to have someone else
> host my
> www.example.com until I can afford to get a server to maintain at home.
>
> Now, I would like to setup my PCs in the meantime.   From what I
> understand, Samba and
> network mounts are for sharing the files and folders right?
>
> What exactly would the gateway need in my situation...a firewall? DNS
> services? NATD?
> What about the workstations?  Do I just need the edit the local.rc file?
>
> Any links, recommended reading, and /or advice is more than welcome.
>
> The setup will be as follows:
>
>      X    <---internet cable connection
>       \
>         \
>           \
>      ------------
>      |    |    <---gateway.example.com (FreeBSD OS)
>      ------------
>      ____
>      |        |     <---10MB 5-port HUB
>      -------
>      \     \   \
>        \     \   \______________________      <---future www.example.com
> server
>          \     \_________________
>            \                      \
>              \                      \--------------
>                \                          |            |
> <---freebsd-wkstn.example.com
>                  \                         -------------
>                    \
>           \  ---------------
>             |         |       <---windows-wkstn.example.com
--------------92D3E04AF227EA3F9CCC104C

begin:vcard
n:Herbelot;Thierry
tel;work:(+33) 1 46 52 47 23