Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:48:18 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Maciuszonek Artur <ummacius@cc.UManitoba.CA>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Ceditcard Ethernet

> Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:44:21 -0700
> From: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
>
> In message <200101021547.f02FlxJ26815@ptavv.es.net> "Kevin Oberman" writes:
> : Aside from the obvious clearing after a hang, the watchdog timer is
> : the driver's way of turning the card on in the first place. Nothing
> : should happen, even the turning of of the link LED, until after the
> : reset. Only then should you see the link and see any traffic.
>
> It usually means that the IRQ that it is using is wrong.
Warner,

On any other card, I'd agree, but not on the Xircom.

I run all of my PCcards at IRQ 9 and all function just fine. But, when
inserted, the Xircom always generates the watchdog timeout before it
turns on the link LED or transmits any data. From that point, it works
fine at IRQ 9. Both Orinoco and Aironet cards also work fine at IRQ 9,
so I'm pretty sure that I have no conflict.

All a timeout does is to stop the card, then do a hard reset and
re-init the card.

I assume that there must be a race condition or something similar
that prevents the card from properly initializing, although I don't
see anything obvious from looking at the source. (Not that I'd be
likely to notice, anyway. It's been over a decade since I last wrote
a driver and it for VMS.)

In any case, I always see one timeout on my RealPort 10/100 card after
insertion.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)