Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Wm Foote <bfoote@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Technical questions, please forward the the proper person

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Wm Foote wrote:

> 1.  I tried installing FreeBSD on a drive by itself configured as the
> master drive on the secondary IDE channel. I got the msg 'PANIC, cannot
> mount /root' or something like that. When I switched the drive to be the
> master on the primary channel and reinstalled it worked.  Please let me
> know if what I was trying to do is allowed and if so what did I do
> wrong?

Most likely you don't have a disk in the slave position on the primary
controller.  This leads to a conflict between what disk the boot blocks
thinks it's booting from and what the kernel thinks it's booting from
after the devices are probed.  Here is my boilerplate solution for this:

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

> 2.  I cannot find any instructions in my 1750+ page FreeBSD manual on
> how to configure Booteasy.  I would like to have a choice of booting Win
> NT (located in an NTFS partition of the master drive on the primary
> channel), Win95 (on a FAT32 partition of the master drive on the primary
> channel), or FreeBSD (located on its own partition on the master drive
> on the secondary channel).  Please advice on how this can be
> accomplished.

You don't.  Booteasy configures itself.  I don't know if Booteasy knows
NTFS partitions.  Try OS-BS (in the tools/ directory).

> As you may have noticed I said that FreeBSD installed ok on the primary
> channel, but later I said it was on the secondary channel, and that is
> correct.  I had to switch my drives back after ruining 3 CD-R disks. For
> some reason what works for FreeBSD does not work for my CD-R software
> (Adaptec Easy-CD Pro 95).  I have not yet tried rebooting FreeBSD to see
> if it will now work.

No clue.  I'd suggest running your FreeBSD and Windows disks on one
controller and the CD-R on the other.  That shouldn't cause any problems,
but if it does make sure your jumper settings for master/slave are
correct.  Or try moving the windows disk to the slave position on the
primary controller and the FreeBSD disk to the master.  Most likely one
disk is a horrible master and is slowing down the data xfer.  This is why
I don't like IDE for this type of thing.