Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:30:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        didier@omnix.fr.org
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, imp@village.org, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

> I dont like sun's attitude but I think that's impossible to ignore java.
> there are probably many possibilities but I'm not sure of the right one
>
> there are several questions
>
>  - is kaffe able to totally replace the native java ?
>    (I heard many horrible about kaffe)

It is incomplete and not productized.  I think everything horrible falls
into that category.  I didn't like the Kaffe license, actually, so I
have played with real JAVA instead.

>  - is it possible to write a x86 solaris emulator for FreeBSD ?

Yes.  It's also something that's lacking resources right now.  There
are copies of x86 Solaris available for ~$200 on the workstation
"forsale" group.  Student copies are cheaper than that, I thought.
It just needs someone to do the work.

>  - are there any possibilities to only distributes the patch to the original
>    source file for java (with no line of the original sdk file in the diffs)

Unlikely.  It would probably be classed as a derivative work; even
if it were not, it would still take getting Sun to license you to get
something to apply the patch to.

> > Sun is no longer 'open' about Java now that they've got enough mindshare
> > to keep momentum going.  It's a pretty cheap way of doing business by
> > first promising openness and then renigging on it, but it's only too
> > common in business nowadays.

I haven't seen this, but if true, it won't last.  Mindshare is inversely
proportional to proprietership.  Look at the UNIX successes: TCP/IP,
X, etc..  All of them are from freely available technology that the
vendors could standardize without licensing fees or "baseball card"
trading (cross-licensing to get into a clique, a favorite of the UNIX
market in the past).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---