Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:10:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user-mode nfs daemon

>My view is that this kludging has never been corrected, but that
>the powers-that-be are so enamored with the idea that the code
>from CSRG is somehow blessed because of its origins, that they
>are afraid to change it, without establishing a prior full
>conceptual understanding of the existing code in a core team
>member.

   No, that's not the reason. Some of the changes that you are advocating
were discussed prior to you mentioning them. The decision not to change these
things was made because of release engineering and other concerns, and not
because the code was "blessed". Secondly, some of your ideas are simply wrong
in the minds of some of the former CSRG people (and others), and we either
agree with these CSRG people or we are neutral but desire to keep a positive
ongoing relationship with them.

-DG

David Greenman