Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:51:46 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re-reading /etc/fstab ...

Dear FreeBSDers,

yet another question :-)

If I turn on e.g. the "noatime" option on a ufs filesystem (eg "/" or=20
"/usr"), and I want to have my /etc/fstab re-read, I seem to=20
understand that I have to reboot.

Alternatively, If I do NOT wish to reboot, I should issue a "shutdown"=20
command (with no options whatsoever), unmount the filesystem(s), and=20
remount them.=20

The problems arise with the "/" filesystem. Incidentally, "mount -u /"=20
might damage it. In particular, I seem to understand that switching=20
from read only to read/write is harmless; whereas switching from=20
read/write to read only may actually damage the FS -- especially if=20
this happens a few times.=20

Is there a safe way to turn the option on without rebooting in such=20
cases ? Am I (yawn) missing anything trivial ?

Many, many thanks for your help (and patience !)

Best regards,
Salvo